2020 was a year filled with unprecedented circumstances – while the BIGteam and other offices around the nation adjusted to work from home life, we continued to secure top press for our clients, manage virtual events and give back to our community. Now more than ever, BIGfish is proud to represent clients who are continuously innovating, creating new opportunities and coming together during this time. Check out the top BIGhighlights from this year:
- Cowin Audio
- Coils to Locs
- Fluent Research
- Pickle Robot Company
- Lightforce Orthodontics
Events Attended and Managed
- CES 2020
- EmTech Digital 2020
Top PR Wins
- Personal Response from Dylan Dryer of the TODAY Show
- In January, the BIGfish team saw a segment on the TODAY Show where Dylan Dreyer called in while on maternity leave; she shared that she was losing a lot of sleep she was losing with her newborn. Spotting an opportunity, the team worked with Nested Bean, creators of the only line of baby sleepwear that’s lightly weighted to soothe like a parent’s touch, to send a branded “media mailer” to Dylan with Nested Bean’s full line of infant sleepwear. A few days after the mailer was delivered, Dylan emailed a member of the BIGfish team to personally say thank you for the package.
- “Dylan Dryer emailed me to say thank you for sending her a mailer full of sleep-essentials from Nested Bean for her and her newborn son, Ollie. She called the products, ‘genius and amazing!!’ and said, ‘I cannot wait to try it out tonight!! Thank you so much for thinking of us during this special, if not stressful, time.’ I’m a huge fan of the TODAY Show so this was a really cool moment for me as a publicist!” – Kate Lizotte, Assistant Account Manager
- Coils to Locs Coverage
- In July, Coils to Locs joined BIGfish’s client roster. The company is on a mission to provide access to a variety of ethnically inspired wigs that can be purchased through healthcare reimbursement at cancer center hospitals. BIGfish has since secured coverage for Coils to Locs in Everyday Health, Elle.com and InStyle.
- “I’ve loved the opportunity to work with the team at Coils to Locs and am very grateful for the opportunity to get to tell their story. It has been amazing to see and help facilitate the positive press that has come through for them this year!” – Abbey Treamer, Assistant Account Manager
- Flo by Moen Smart Water Detector
- In January at CES, Flo by Moen launched the newest addition to their whole-home water security system; the Flo by Moen Smart Water Detector. BIGfish worked with NYT’s Wirecutter to facilitate a review of the new device, and eventually the Smart Water Detector was named Wirecutter’s top pick and crowned the Best Smart Water-Leak Detector of 2020.
- “Launching a new product at CES is always a big deal, and it can be a challenge to make your product stand out from the hundreds of other products being announced at the show. We were strategic in the reporters that we targeted for this particular announcement, and were able to work really closely with our contact at Wirecutter to facilitate a positive review. In the end, the back-and-forth answering of questions and providing support throughout the review paid off with the product earning the top pick from Wirecutter in their roundup of the best smart water detectors of the year!” – Kate Lizotte, Assistant Account Manager
- Formlabs COVID-19 Relief Initiatives
- In March, BIGfish client Formlabs sprung to action to produce COVID-19 test swabs and other emergency medical equipment that was in short supply as a result of the pandemic. These initiatives were covered in Fast Company, The Wall Street Journal, TechCrunch, CNN, Forbes and many more outlets resulting in over 622 articles and a possible reach of 2.2 Billion.
- “Seeing the impact Formlabs technology was making in real time was incredible. The team here at BIGfish did an incredible job managing inbounds, remaining flexible to the changing news environment and really highlighting the benefits of 3D printing technology.”– Chelsea Higgins, Account Manager
- LightForce Announces Series B Funding
- In July, LightForce joined BIGfish’s client roster. LightForce Orthodontics has the world’s first and only fully customizable 3D-printed bracket system. We helped them announce their Series B fundraise this summer and secured coverage in Forbes, Crunchbase and 3D Printing Media, among others.
- “This was a fun announcement to work on – not only is the technology really interesting, but the LightForce team is also so great to work with. Our whole team did a fantastic job securing top tier and trade coverage!” – Kate Ormonde, Account Manager
- Amazon Ring Hardware Announcement
- In September during Amazon’s hardware showcase, the BIGfish team assisted with announcing Ring’s new, innovative products, including Ring Always Home Cam and Ring’s new mobility devices, and secured 1,242 hits (including syndication).
- “I loved coming together with the BIGfish team to help introduce innovative new products for Ring. It was great to see such amazing press outcomes during this event.” – Meghan Gabel, Assistant Account Manager
- Securing Holiday Ring Coverage
- In December 2020, the BIGteam secured coverage for Ring on Good Morning America’s website and social channels.
- “Securing this opportunity required a great deal of communication, both with producers at GMA as well as the Ring team. Throughout the process, the entire BIGfish team was supportive and encouraging and it was very exciting to see the coverage come to fruition.” -Julia Albert, Account Coordinator
- Celebrating Good Neighbor Day
- To celebrate Good Neighbor Day with BIGclient Ring, BIGfish secured coverage of feel-good, neighborly videos across Buzzfeed’s various social channels, including Instagram and Facebook, reaching a combined total of 47.9M followers.
- “I loved working with the Ring team to share some much needed feel-good content and secure social media coverage around Good Neighbor Day! It was so exciting to collaborate with Buzzfeed on this opportunity and was really encouraging to see their followers’ positive feedback online.” – Emily Rosenberg, Account Coordinator.
- First-Ever Virtual Taste of Iceland
- In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, Iceland Naturally and BIGfish were tasked with transitioning the annual local Taste of Iceland festivals to one virtual event – Taste of Iceland North America.
- “Working with the Iceland Naturally team on securing livestream presenters, managing all online promotional content and facilitating live presentations in just a matter of weeks was one of the year’s more difficult tasks, though extremely rewarding as we found out just how much it takes to organize an entirely virtual festival. Our whole team did an incredible job balancing everything and it was amazing to see how we could still successfully produce one of Iceland Naturally’s biggest events in the age of the pandemic.” – Anna Dow, Assistant Account Manager
Anna was promoted to the Assistant Account Manager position this year. She has already facilitated campaigns for numerous clients that span from Iceland to 3D printing, and has secured client coverage in Business Insider and the Wall Street Journal.
Abbey started as an intern at BIGfish and was promoted from an Account Coordinator to an Assistant Account Manager this year! Abbey has helped to secure press hits in Elle.com, Good Morning America and POPSUGAR this year.
New Team Members
Kate joined the BIGteam this March as an Account Manager and brings with her an abundance of knowledge in global communications, data analytics, 3D printing and advertising and marketing.
Emily joined the team in June after three semesters as a BIGintern. Since then, she has worked on a wide range of clients and continues to be an important asset to the BIGteam.
Our newest hire, Julia, joined the BIGteam this September and has secured press hits for clients in the audio, smart home and 3D printing industries.
BIGteam Gives Back
During an unprecedented year, BIGfish recognized the importance of amplifying all voices. The team offered free virtual office hours to Black and LGBTQIA+ businesses in the Boston area as well as Boston-based businesses who were impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
In December, the BIGteam also collected toys for the Toys For Tots holiday toy drive. The team donated a total of 23 presents to the organization, the biggest donation of the day!
The BIGteam is excited to see what is to come in 2021. Stay tuned for more BIGfish updates on our BIGblog and be sure to let us know what your plans are for 2021 in the comments below.